You'll need:
(1) frozen bread dough - 1 loaf for every 2 calzones you want to make. (I used Rhodes brand).
(2) stuff you want to fill your calzone with! (Pepperoni/mozzarella/pizza sauce, sausage/yellow onion/mozzarella/pizza sauce, and barbecue chicken/gouda/red onion/cilantro... for this round)
Directions for making:
- Let the dough thaw and rise according to the package directions (about 5 hours on the counter OR overnight in the fridge and then a few hours on the counter).
- Cut each dough loaf in half (to make two calzones).
- Roll into a nice thin circle or rectangle.
- Put the ingredients on one half of the dough. Fill it up enough so it's plump but not overflowing.
- Fold other side of dough on top of ingredients.
- Along the edge, use a fork to squish down/seal so the good stuff doesn't pop out.
- Put a few fork holes in the top.
- Brush some egg wash or olive oil on the top to make it nice and golden.
Cook immediately or freeze. (I froze my trial batch so I'm not sure about the baking time... probably 350 for 20 minutes).
To bake from frozen...BE SURE TO REMOVE FOIL AND WAX PAPER BEFORE BAKING.
Good news... I didn't bother to thaw... I popped the frozen calzones directly into the oven (on a cookie sheet) and they turned out well. 350 for 35 minutes.
Most of the other websites I read encouraged you to thaw first, so you could try that if you want to experiment.
See you Sunday!
These were great! We removed the wax paper before baking but went straight from frozen to oven. We had the sausage & bbq chicken. I bet Marissa at at least 1/3 of one herself. Our NZ thought they were great (she's never had a calzone before). Troy and I thought they tasted a lot like the ronzas we used to eat in Kirksville without so much of the dough.
ReplyDelete